Suppose you are badly in need to find some information or buy a product. You browse the Internet and find a website that seems relevant. However, when you click its URL, you wait for the site to load for 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 20 seconds and that’s it! You are frustrated and annoyed and you leave the site. Well, this is not an issue for a single website. For any site that takes more than 10 seconds to load, this is the outcome.
Now, if you look at it from the point of view of a webmaster, taking a long time to load is a major problem with your website that you have to fix. Because, as you yourself would experience, any visitor would be irritated to wait for a site to load for more than 10-15 seconds. In fact, an ideal time for a site to load is 8-12 seconds. Imagine making a visitor wait for a minute or two!
So this brings us to the point – what makes a website take a long time to load? And, what can you do about increasing its speed? Here are a few factors. Hope this can help you in optimising your site so that it loads faster in any browser.
- Make sure that the server is fast and less loaded, especially if your website has many pages and categories.
- Use CSS stylesheets whenever possible. It reduces font tags and nested tables that increase the loading time of a site.
- Reduce the number of images. Images are an attraction for users, yes. But when you use it too much it can decrease the loading speed.
- Using multimedia can be avoided as much as possible. If Flash, video, audio and other animations are not absolutely necessary for what you wanted to convey, its better not to use them.
- Reduce the size of the webpages. When the pages are too long it can make the site load slower.
Let these tips help you increase the website loading speed. But, do keep in mind, just increasing the loading speed to open a website that has virtually no substance can annoy the visitor as much as slow loading time. Therefore, increase the loading speed to open a website that is informative, interesting and relevant.