You are aware how easy it is to get lost in the thousands of websites that spring up each day however much you try to promote it using different methods. Even if your business is aiming customers around a certain locality it is easy to get overlooked as everybody around you are now coming up with a website of their own. To get noticed among them is not an easy job.
Local listing is a service provided by Yahoo where you could display your business for those local customers who are looking for service providers in and around their locality. Listing your business details is free in Yahoo local listing, and depending on the traffic, ranking and content of the site it enables you to come in the first few pages of Yahoo! Local.
So how do you go about listing your business here? Let’s check out this month how to enlist your business in Yahoo local listing and what you need to do for that. We’ll start from the beginning.
Types of listings
Yahoo gives 3 different options for local listing: basic, enhanced and featured. Basic listing, which is free, lets you provide your most important details like,
- Address, phone number and website URL
- Hours of working
- Products or services
- Credit cards accepted
Enhanced listing with $9.95 per month lets you provide the following details besides the information under basic listing:
- Company logo
- Up to 10 images
- More details of your business
Featured listing is $25 per month and besides adding your business and contact details lets you:
- Add five pages of your website
- Customise the pages
As you can see in the screenshot above, your details will be seen in the search results in Yahoo! Local in response to a user typing in the relevant keyword along with the locality. The preliminary information that the user would get includes your business pages, address and phone number. Once the user click on the Details Page, he/she would find any additional information you provide on your business along with the photos.
How to add business to Yahoo! Local?
1. Make sure your website is live and active.
2. Create an account in Yahoo.
3. Select a web hosting plan in Yahoo.
4. Go to Getting Started Wizard > Promote.
5. Click the set up link.
6. Click the Sign up button here and follow the instructions.
Once you add your business in Yahoo! Local, allow at least 5 days before it appears in the list.
Guidelines for Local Listings
Yahoo has established some ground rules to ensure the quality of the type of products and services advertised through local listing. These guidelines are made to ensure that all goods and services sold are well within the margin of safety and law and that those listed do not interfere unnecessarily with the customers’ lives through spam or chain letters. Here are some of the basic rules that you need to comply with while enlisting your business in Yahoo Local Listing:
- The listing cannot be used for any fraudulent activities including accepting payment and not delivering the goods.
- Local listing cannot be used for sending unsubscribed newsletters or spam mails.
- No material can be added that might contain viruses or other computer malware that might damage or interfere with the customers’ computer.
- Passwords for local listing have to be kept confidential. The service provider would be responsible for all the actions undertaken using the password.
- You cannot sell an item that is illegal or prohibited by Yahoo through local listing. A few examples of such products are illegal drugs, unauthorised copies of software, music and movies, illegal weapons and accessories, etc. The complete list of prohibited items can be found at http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/ysm/ll/guidelines/local-01.html
- You need to provide accurate information about your business. If your info says you sell plumbing services that should be exactly what you are doing.
- Yahoo Local Listing is all about customers in and around your locality who might turn up in your office any time. Hence, make sure you give the exact address and phone numbers.
- The website must be in English language.
Finally, Yahoo remains the main authority to decide whether to include your product in its local listing. Hard though it sounds, if your business and details are genuine including your business in the local listing is quite simple and easy. And once you are able to enlist, you’ll find quite a lot of local customers approaching you, yes, literally!