Google was born in 1998 after developing ‘PageRank’ that checks the quality of inbound links instead of the number of inbound links as well as taking ito account the type of fonts used in the page, subdivisions and the location of each word and the content of similar web pages. Google has become aggressive when it comes to elimination of spam used in black hat search engine optimisation (SEO) techniques. With Google’s paid Adwords advertising you can customize your own advertisements by allowing you to choose your keywords to direct where your advertisement displays. Google implements cost-per-click pricing, so you only pay when users click on your ad.
Google maintains its own spider based index and its revenue comes from adwords and adsence. Google also has a free directory that is powered by the popular Open Directory DMOZ. Google is currently trying to break into the mobile phone market with its operating system ‘Android’.
Google is constantly expanding and is related to the following websites and companies…
1. Adwords Editor: Desktop application to manage a google adwords account.
2. Desktop: Search application for computers
3. SharedStuff: Web page sharing system that works wit del.icio.us.
4. Reader: Web based news aggregator for Atom and RSS feeds.
5. Blogger: For publishing weblogs.
6. GoogleCode: For open source code and lists of google’s API services.
7. Co-Op: Platform for developers
8. OpenSocial: A set of APIs for building social applications
9. Alerts: Sends alerts based on certain search terms when there are new results
10. Base: An online database into which any user can add almost any type of content, such as text, images, and structured information in formats like XML.
11. BookSearch: Search for the text of printed books.
12. CodeSearch: Search for programming code
13. Directory: The same as ODP but the results are sorted by pagerank
14. PatentSearch: Search through patents information
15. Product Search: Online shop price engine.
16. Scholar: Search for peer reviewed publications
17. SearchMash: Google owned search engine aggregator
18. Sets: Search for searchterms based on example keywords for those who dont know what they are searching for
19. Suggest: Autocompletion of popular searches
20. UniversitySearch: Search engines for universities
21. HotTrends: Previously Zeitgeist, it shows the popularity of search terms over time.
Yahoo originated in 1994 by Stanford student Jerry Yang who created a website named “Jerry’s Guide to the World Wide Web.” This is a precursor of yahoo directory which was a manually generated list of websites organised in a hierarchy rather than a searchable index. It is the second most used search engine. Yahoo’s directory requires evaluation by human editors and yearly payment but remains popular because it is difficult to spam with black hat seo techniques like doorway sites which can still get past google spam filters.
Yahoo once offered paid inclusion for commercial websites which are indistinguishable from other search results. This was controvertial and as of 2006, paid inclusion only offers customers more frequent web crawls and statistics. Instead, Yahoo has now uses Panama which allows advertisers to bid for search terms based on their popularity like google adwords.
Yahoo is related to the following websites and companies…
1. Yahoo 360: A Social Netowrking Site and Blog Host
2. Yahoo Answers: A service that allows users to ask and answer questions. Points are awarded for asking and answering questions
3. Yahoo Briefcase: A free file sharing hositng service
4. Yahoo Buzz Log: Tracks trends in searches made in Yahoo similar to google zeitgeist
5. Yahoo Developer Network: Offers resources for yahoo web services
6. Yahoo Directory: The original yahoo search engine
7. Yahoo Finance: Offers stock quotes and rates
8. Yahoo Gallery: Directory of applications built by third party developers using Yahoo technologies
9. Yahoo Games: Allows users to play games with each other
10. Geocities: Free Web hosting
11. Hotjobs: Provides tools and advice to job seekers
12. Yahoo Local: For finding local businesses with yahoo maps
13. Flickr: Yahoo acquired for sharing photos
14. Yahoo Pipes: Free RSS editor and hosting
15. Yahoo Real Estate: Offers real estate information such as finding rentals
16. Yahoo Travel: Travel guide, booking and reservation
17. Yahoo Video: Video sharing site
18. Widgets: Originally Konfabulator used in Macs
19. Kelkoo: A shopping search engine
20. Del.Icio.Us: A social bookmarking website
21. blo.gs: A directory of recently updated weblogs
22. upcomming.org: A social event calendar.
Lycos was launched on the web in 1994 with their search engine crawler developed at Carnegie Mellon University. It is now owned by Korean Daum Communications. It was the first company to launch a voip internet phone in 2006. Lycos receives their web results from a variety of sources including the Open Directory and Yahoo Directory.
The Lycos Insite Adbuyer displays text-based internet marketing advertisments throughout the Lycos Network including Lycos search, HotBot search, Tripod, Angelfire and Gamesville. This service is a cost per click type service that requires that you only pay for actual traffic your site, received from user click-throughs. There are three levels of service: Lycos Select, Pro and Enterprise.
Any web page that does not have a minimum of 75 words is not indexed. Lycos uses the first 150 characters of your page as the summary it displays in search results so make sure searchers see what you want them to see.
Lycos is involved with the following websites…
1. Angelfire webhosting, blogging and web publishing
2. Gamesville multiplayer gaming
3. Hotbot search engine
4. HtmlGear web-page addons, guestbooks, etc.
5. Tripod webhosting, blogging and web publishing tools
6. Webmonkey web-building help and tutorials
7. WhoWhere people search engine
8. Lycos-Domains name purchasing
9. Lycos-Mail email provider
10. Lycos-Planet social networking
11. Lycos-Retriever information summarisation service
12. Lycos-Cinema online video
13. LycosMIX video playlist, chat and social networking
- Video sharing & SEO If a picture is thousand times better than words, a...
- Google leads the search engines list for the U.S. search According to the latest studies of Experian® Hitwise®, the top...
- Web Directories & Specialised Search Engines When you are trying to market your product online your...
- Relevance of Yahoo directory submission Being ranked high and positioned in the front in Yahoo...
- Search engine queries Given below are some Search Queries • Dictionary: To see...